discovering me

Unraveling the Mystery of the Self (check out my other blog at - http://myteo.blogspot.com/)

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Choices

Having started in February 2005, it's been almost half a year since I started working at ICICI Web Trade Limited, Mumbai, as a Zonal Trainer, handling the western zone. I started the training sessions by using the standard presentations prepared by someone at IWTL, but later prepared my own presentations on Capital Markets, Equity Trading, and Derivative Trading. I also moved on to prepare comprehensive presentations on Fundamental Analysis of stocks, Technical Analysis of stocks, and the relation of the Fibonacci series, the Golden Ratio and Technical Analysis, among others. I was enjoying whatever I was doing – developing the content, and delivering the training to a sitting audience. Being based at the corporate office gave me an advantage of getting to handle the national level training sessions as well. And for the zonal training sessions, I had to travel down to the pre-decided city, and deliver the training. But through all this, I was having the feeling that this is not what I really wanted to do as a career. Here I was - an outdoor person, who enjoys traveling, photography, music, and adventure sports - training people on the Financial Markets! Of course, having done my MBA, it seemed an obvious thing to do; getting into a good company with a decent profile and good pay package. But even MBA was not planned with any goal ahead of it. It just happened, and the experience was enjoyable (not with regards to the academics, but more with regards to the good time I had with my friends).So working with ICICI, and with a profile of a trainer, seemed to be a good opportunity. It was. I'm still learning new things constantly. Even if I don't remain in the financial sector, this learning would undoubtedly help in whatever I do. I learnt a lot about the stock markets, as well as about people, and about corporate culture (the last two, maybe I already knew, but just realized during the course of my work). I was delivering presentations to large audiences, and eliciting positive response from them. That is the most satisfying part of my work – the increased level of confidence of the people in the subject that I had trained them in, after the training program. But then again, I was always thinking about outings, photography, movies, trekking, and not much about stocks or capital markets. Not during my work hours of course, when I was usually immersed in whatever I was doing, but during my free time in the morning and evening, I usually kept thinking about them. I've heard of people being travelers as a profession, usually in Australia/USA/Canada, but haven't heard much about such opportunities in India. I would like to be frank and state that I would also like to make good money. I intend to have a very good standard of living, and would like to be in a position where thinking about how much anything would cost, would be secondary. Especially when I decide to go on an excursion, or when I decide to buy the latest camcorder, or the latest MUV, or when I just decide to go out and have a candlelight dinner at an expensive restaurant, though I also thoroughly enjoy eating at roadside joints also. But eating anywhere, or doing anything, should be by choice, and not due to circumstances. And I believe we all have the choice to do whatever we want, if we decide that we will not be driven by circumstances, but learn from them. That decision is ours.

Considering this, I have thought of a few careers. Like being a photographer on NatGeo. Or making my own documentary films and selling them to these channels. Or even making a full fledged feature. The thought itself excites me...

3 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger Rahul Dekate said…

    Dj at his best.. confused. I am too confused like you as I told you before.

    Training ..is a kind of performance and you get live people who can react at that time.. just like stage performance.

    Is there any deadline for what do u want to do ?

     
  • At 7:43 PM, July 04, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Its surprising to know how many people i know would like to be a Photographer for NatGeo... its truly amazing how that company has established this standard of profession, quality... and temptation... amazing!

     
  • At 12:54 AM, November 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there! HI ! I came across your name tagged with documentary films in Snehal Mundles Blog. Well I had an idea or a thought...I recently visited a placed called "Prayatna" for mentally challeneged people. The plethroa of feelings that are evoked when you visit them cannot be described..
    Do you think you could make a documentary with the same name and same topic? It would give them a big boost and perhaps you a hit ??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home